Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Installing Amazon MP3 Downloader on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)

I was looking to buy a few albums from Amazon today, when I found out that they only provide their mp3 downloader in a 32-bit package. Moreover, it requires other packages that are not available in the Lucid repositories.

Why do I want the Amazon downloader? Well, you can download individual songs/files from Amazon without the downloader, but in order to get whole albums at once (as well as some goodies that are sometimes packaged only with albums), you need the downloader.

I found a post that addresses this issue in a slightly earlier version of Ubuntu, but it didn't work immediately for me.  So, here's what I did:
  1. First, I backed up my /etc/apt/sources.list
  2. Then, in the original /etc/apt/sources.list file, I replaced all instances of "lucid" with "karmic". There are packages that the downloader needed that are available in the Karmic repositories, but not Lucid. Specifically, these are the 1.34 versions of Boost libraries:

    • libboost-filesystem
    • libboost-date_time
    • libboost-iostreams
    • libboost-regex
    • libboost-signals
    • libboost-thread
    I got the idea to use the Karmic repositories from http://www.hilltopyodeler.com/blog/?p=294.
  3. Use synaptic to refresh your package list, and to install the above packages as well as libglademm-2.4-1c2a (you can do it from the command line, but I used synaptic).
  4. From here, follow the instructions at http://www.ensode.net/roller/dheffelfinger/entry/installing_amazon_mp3_downloader_under (look in the comments for the current location of getlibs.deb). While installing amazonmp3.deb, if it tells you that there are other dependencies missing, go ahead and install those as well.
  5. After you've finished, don't forget to restore your /etc/apt/sources.list from the backup you made in step #1.
Hope this helps someone else.  Thanks to the two sites linked above for their prior work on the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment